Thursday, March 4, 2010

City Council Recognition


Over the years I have been able to certify in many areas of my trade as a building inspector. When I first started working with my father we contracted for a small town near Fort Worth. I did all the code enforcement inspections and citations for the city. During that time the Fire Marshal wanted to take over the code enforcement division, which began a small friendly war between the two of us. The war was who could get their code enforcement officer license first. Since he worked for the city he was able to take the code enforcement 36 hour class that took him away from work for a week. I could not, so I just signed up for the test and took it. I passed with flying colors the problem was they would not recognize me without taking the class. It was a mistake on their part to allow me to take the test without the class credits first. They never thought someone would try to take the test without the class... So many years later - I still never found the time to take the class. I mean seriously my thought was WHY... Why should I take a class for something I already knew.

Then I started working for the City of Rosenberg last year. Normally, they require that the building inspectors have code enforcement license, but with my other certifications and licenses they did not require this of me. I just felt like I should finish something that I started so long ago. The rules had changed, there was a lengthy application to fill out for the State of Texas to approve you, the 36 hour course, and then finally the test. I am very excited to say that the class was a lot of fun and I learned a lot (who would have known - lol) and a week later I passed the test. Now the test was a 2 hour, 55 question test - I took the test in 20 minutes - it was truly the easiest test I've ever taken.

Then the surprise - the City of Rosenberg awarded me with a Certificate of Recognition the past Tuesday night at City Council and my whole department came out to support me. Johanna Garcia is our permit technician and she decided to be the first permit clerk in Rosenberg to take her Permit Technician Test and she passed as well and they recognized her also. She is standing with me and the Mayor of Rosenberg with our Department Manager Lt Wayne Jory. I had the girls go to see what City Council was like and to see me get the certificate, it was a good night.

7 comments:

mamawolf said...

Congratulation!!! You are such a busy woman.

Erica Huff said...

Congratulations! Smart and beautiful! What a combination.

Jeanette said...

Congrats Congrats Congrats!!!

CourtneyB said...

That's wonderful - you deserve it! Congrats!

Cindy Killebrew said...

You go GIRL!

Unknown said...

Michelle, you are awesome! You deserve it and so much more!

Our Family said...

congratulations that is great!!!!

Geo Caching